Pilonidal Cyst (Pilonidal Abscess)
Serving Hamilton, Stoney Creek, Grimsby and surrounding areas
LightSheer Diode – for Hair Removal
Laser Hair Removal can be used for other areas – Bikini
Laser Hair Removal can be used for other areas – Underarm
- Usually appear as a red-purple bump or lump, sometimes with a visible opening on the skin’s surface
- Are usually located on the buttocks, above the anus, in the crease between the buttocks (gluteal cleft) or to one side of the crease
- Are frequently tender and may drain blood or pus
- Are more common in young people, especially young men
- May be due to ingrown hair becoming trapped and repeatedly infected
- May be aggravated by prolonged sitting or sweating
Treatment – General Measures:
- Try to minimize prolonged sitting if possible
- Wear good quality absorbent cotton underwear
- Keep the area as clean and dry as possible
Treatment – Medical:
- Hot compresses and antibiotic therapy can be used for milder cases
Treatment – Surgical:
- In more severe cases the cyst may be surgically excised by a surgeon, but frequently recur.
- Please note that we do not perform excision of pilonidal cysts in my office
- I refer my patients to a general surgeon for excision
Which aesthetic procedures can be used to treat pilonidal cysts?
- Laser Hair Removal
- Many surgeons recommend laser hair removal around the area of the cyst prior to excision to reduce the risk of recurrence
- I am pleased to offer laser hair removal of pilonidal cysts in my office, usually prior to surgical excision
- All skin colours can be treated
- In addition, almost any other area can be treated including:
- Arms and Legs
- Chest and Back
- To learn more about Laser Hair Removal, please click here
Do I need to get a doctor’s referral to set up an appointment?
- No, a referral is not necessary
- You can phone the aesthetic centre directly at (905) 549-7873 to book a free consultation with one of our knowledgeable technicians
When can I start having treatments?
- For your convenience, the services above are available in my office
What if you are interested to learn more?
- If you would like to learn more:
- Please click on the blue text links above
- E-Mail Us
- Or call our aesthetic centre directly at (905) 549-7873 to book a free consultation with one of our knowledgeable technicians
Would you like to see a Video Demonstration?
- I am pleased to offer a new section on the website with video demonstrations of various procedures
- To watch a video-clip in which Dr. V talks about: